McLean Hospital Title:
- Clinical Staff Associate, Division of Geriatric Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Instructor in Psychiatry, Part Time
Robert B. Portney, MD, is an honors graduate of Harvard College, where he was given the Whitaker Award for his GPA. Dr. Portney is also a graduate of Yale Medical School and did his internship and residency at the University of Pennsylvania. He served as chief resident and fellow in consultation liaison psychosomatic medicine at several of Harvard Medical School’s teaching hospitals.
Dr. Portney is well published in the fields of geriatrics and neuropsychiatry and has given lectures at major conferences around the world and grand rounds at the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Massachusetts General Hospital and McLean. For many years, he was a touring concert violinist and performed as soloist with the major orchestras of Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, DC, and Dallas and recorded the Tchaikovsky violin concerto for EMI/Angel.
Education & Training:
- 1975 BA in General Studies Physical Sciences, Harvard College
- 1981 MD, Yale University Medical School
- 1981-1984 Internship and Psychiatry Residency, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- 1984-1985 Chief Resident and Fellowship in Consultation Liaison Psychiatry/Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Teaching Hospitals
- 1987 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 1991, 2001, 2011 Geriatric Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Belmont campus - South Belknap, Room 334