McLean Hospital Title:
- Clinical Director, Dissociative Disorders and Trauma Programs
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Sherry R. Winternitz, MD, is the clinical director of the Dissociative Disorders and Trauma Programs. She began her career as a cardiologist before coming to Boston to pursue training in psychiatry, where she completed her residency at Tufts Medical Center and joined the faculty there upon completion of her training. It was during this time that she developed an interest in working with patients with trauma-related illness. Dr. Winternitz came to McLean in 1998 to work in the trauma program and assumed her current role in 2004. She provides clinical and administrative oversight for the Dissociative Disorders and Trauma Inpatient Program and for the Hill Center for Women.
Dr. Winternitz is currently co-investigator on a research project led by Milissa Kaufman, MD, PhD. This study is designed to evaluate the neurobiological basis of traumatic dissociation utilizing structural and functional neuroimaging techniques and genetic analysis.
Oparil S, Katholi R, Winternitz SR. Renin, Volume IV. Montreal, Canada: Eden Press, 1979.
Oparil S, Katholi R, Winternitz SR. Renin, Volume V. Montreal, Canada: Eden Press, 1981.
Education & Training:
- 1969 BS in Biology and Chemistry, Murray State University
- 1974 MD, University of Kentucky
- 1975-1976 Resident in Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky
- 1977-1978 Resident in Internal Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham
- 1984-1987 Resident in Psychiatry, Tufts Medical Center
- 1978-1981 Fellow in Cardiology, University of Alabama, Birmingham
- 1987-1988 Clinical Fellow in Psychiatry, Tufts Medical Center
- 1978 American Board of Internal Medicine
- 1984 Massachusetts Medical License
- 1993 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Belmont campus - Proctor House, Room 311