For nearly 200 years, McLean has served as a beacon of hope for people with psychiatric illness and their families. As we mark our bicentennial year, we reaffirm our commitment to improving lives by providing compassionate, specialized psychiatric care, informed by research and individualized for each patient.
We had many accomplishments to celebrate in 2010, including significant progress in implementing the McLean strategic plan that was approved two years ago.
We continued to build centers of excellence and innovation that integrate clinical service, research and education, focused on rapid translation of science in order to establish, deliver and disseminate ever-better, evidence-based approaches to care. The Division of Psychotic Disorders improved prescribing practices for atypical antipsychotic medications and elevated clinical care and education related to metabolic syndrome. The Division of Alcohol, Drugs, and Addiction expanded its capacity to treat patients addicted to heroin and prescription opioids with buprenorphine, a highly effective and lifesaving treatment. In this Annual Report, you can read about our newly established Center of Excellence in Basic Neuroscience and Center for Depression, Anxiety and Stress Research.
We also continued to extend our clinical services to respond to the needs of individuals throughout Massachusetts, across the country and around the globe. We created new programs and expanded existing ones to enhance the continuum of care for adolescents who suffer from impulsive and self-injurious behaviors. For adults, we opened a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Service, offering effective alternatives for individuals grappling with treatment-resistant depression. We increased our presence in emergency rooms, providing expert psychiatric evaluation services in community hospitals beyond greater Boston.
We developed an academic strategic plan that will enrich the environment for learning, scholarship and career development at McLean, while providing a road map for disseminating state-of-the-art information to trainees, health-care professionals and the public near and far.
- The Pavilion Sets Patients on the Path to Recovery
- Adolescent Programs Give Family a Precious Gift: Their Daughter
- Depression Treatment Is ‘A Miracle’ For One Patient
- New Center of Excellence in Basic Neuroscience Committed to Collaboration
- McLean Launches Center for Depression, Anxiety and Stress Research
- Brain Power: Francine M. Benes, MD, PhD
- Student Nurses Benefit from McLean Experience
- Education Begins at Home: Continuing Education Benefits McLean Professionals
- McLean SouthEast Reaches Out to Patients and Families
- With Humanity, Program Addresses Addiction and Underlying Illness
- Making Inroads: Philip Levendusky, PhD, ABPP
- van Otterloo Leads by Example in Her Work with McLean
- Actress Glenn Close and Family Earn the 2010 McLean Award
- Firm Foundation: Beverly Bartlett, PhD, RN, Credits McLean School of Nursing
- Two Hundred Years Later, McLean Reaffirms Its Commitment to Care
Journalist or member of the media?
We are available 24/7 for media requests.