Anil Varma Vatsavayi, MD, MPH
Staff Psychiatrist, Clinical Evaluation Center, McLean SouthEast Adult Psychiatric Inpatient Program
Research Physician, Harvard Brain Tissue Research Center
- Instructor in Psychiatry
Anil Varma Vatsavayi, MD, MPH, is a gifted and compassionate clinician and researcher in various settings at McLean Hospital. His clinical interests relate to neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric conditions, including mood and psychotic disorders. He is a proponent of a multifaceted approach emphasizing integration of important yet overlooked therapeutic modalities, such as cognitive behavioral and related psychotherapies, stress management, aerobic exercise, yoga, diet, spirituality, and mindfulness meditation, among others. His management principles aim to mitigate psychological distress, significantly improve functioning, and enhance quality of life and overall patient well-being.
Dr. Vatsavayi is passionate about the immense potential of neuroscience research to further our understanding of the most complex and intriguing organ in the human body—the brain. His work at the Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center is focused on postmortem brain tissue related translational research projects. Previously, he worked as a co-investigator studying novel monoclonal antibody disease-modifying therapies for Alzheimer’s disease and investigating a novel device—low field magnetic stimulation—to treat bipolar depression in older adults.
Education & Training
- 2002 MD, Andhra Medical College/Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences
- 2007 MPH, Northern Illinois University
- 2007-2011 Psychiatry Residency, Mount Sinai Beth Israel
- 2011-2012 Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 2012-2014 Neuropsychiatry Research Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 2012 Medical License, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- 2012 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 2014 Medical License, Board of Registration in Medicine, Commonwealth of Massachusetts