McLean Hospital Title:
- Consultant in Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Corresponding Member of the Faculty
Charles Welch, MD, ran the ECT service at Massachusetts General Hospital from 1976-2013. Since 2013, he has served as an attending on the ECT Service at McLean Hospital, and is now a consultant in psychiatry. In addition to ECT, his career interests include prevention of child maltreatment, serving on the Massachusetts Governor’s Commission on Child Abuse in 1998.
Dr. Welch is also interested in the politics of health care, and in 2002 served as president of the Massachusetts Medical Society, the only psychiatrist ever to serve in that leadership position. He is currently president of the Massachusetts Medical Benevolent Society, which provides financial support and counseling to physicians in personal, professional, or financial distress.
Education & Training:
- 1967 BA Harvard College
- 1972 MD Boston University
- 1972-1973 Internship in Medicine, Boston City Hospital
- 1973-1976 Residency in Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 1973 Medical License, Board of Registration in Medicine, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 1977 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Belmont campus - de Marneffe Building, Room 209