Claire Carswell, MD
Attending Psychiatrist, Clinical Evaluation Center
- Instructor in Psychiatry, Part-Time
Claire Carswell, MD, began her professional career in community mental health, participating in the care of diverse patient populations in both urban and rural settings. She has worked at McLean Hospital since 2001 in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Her areas of interest include cross-cultural challenges, diversity-related issues, grief, and trauma.
Dr. Carswell holds positions of leadership in the community, is an active member of McLean’s Committee on Diversity, and teaches medical students, residents, and fellows at McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and the Boston Psychoanalytic Institute. She is a member of the Boston Psychoanalytic Institute and Society, where she trained, has presented papers, and has participated in panel discussions and conferences on diversity-related themes.
Education & Training
- 1986 BS in Biology, BA in French, Wofford College
- 1990 MD, Medical University of South Carolina
- 1990-1991 Internship in Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina
- 1991-1994 Residency in Psychiatry, Medical University of South Carolina
- 1995-1997 Research Fellowship in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 1997, 2007, 2017 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 2000 Medical License, Board of Registration in Medicine, Commonwealth of Massachusetts