McLean Hospital Title:
- Director, Trauma Training and Consultation, Simches Center of Excellence in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Assistant Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychiatry
Cynthia Kaplan, PhD, received her doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology from Fordham University in 1979. Dr. Kaplan did her internship at Bronx State Hospital, post-graduate studies at New York University and then practiced in New York for 10 years, primarily seeing children and adolescents. Dr. Kaplan has worked for over 25 years at McLean Hospital where she is currently the director of trauma training and consultation for the Simches Center of Excellence in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and an assistant professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School.
For two decades, Dr. Kaplan has focused her clinical work on issues involving trauma and has worked with patients with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). She has edited a book entitled Helping Your Troubled Teen and co-authored scholarly articles and spoken widely on the issue of how to address and design targeted treatments for adolescents with mood and stress-related disorders.
Kaplan C, Aguirre B, Rater M. Helping your troubled teen; learn to recognize, understand and address the destructive behavior of today’s teens. Beverly, MA: Four Winds Press, 2007.
Harrison K, Kaplan CS, Aguirre B. Fighting back: what an Olympic champion’s story can teach us about recognizing and preventing child sexual abuse—and helping kids recover. New York: Guildford Press, 2018.
Education & Training:
- 1972 BA in Psychology, State University of New York at Stonybrook
- 1975 MA in Clinical Psychology, University of Maine
- 1979 PhD in Clinical Psychology, Fordham University
- 1977-1978 Clinical Psychology Extern, Bronx Veterans Hospital
- 1978-1979 Clinical Psychology Intern, Bronx Psychiatric Center of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 1982-1984 Post-Doctoral Candidate, Post-Doctoral Program in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, New York University
- 1982 Licensed Psychologist, New York
- 1986 Licensed Psychologist, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 1991 Health Service Provider, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Belmont campus - Academic Center