McLean Hospital Title:
- Research Associate, Developmental Biopsychiatry Research Program
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Part-Time
Fredric Schiffer, MD, is a research associate at McLean and an assistant professor of psychiatry, part-time, at Harvard Medical School. He has been studying the relationship between past traumas, cerebral laterality, and depression and anxiety, and has developed a hypothesis on the physical nature of conscious experience and its relation to the brain and to psychological function.
Dr. Schiffer also studies the role that near infrared light directed through the forehead to the brain may play as a treatment for psychological problems, including opioid use disorders. He maintains a private practice of adult psychiatry in Newton, Massachusetts.
Schiffer F. Of two minds: the revolutionary science of dual-brain psychology. New York: The Free Press, 1998.
Education & Training:
- 1967 BA in Biology, University of Pennsylvania
- 1971 MD, Drexel University School of Medicine
- 1971-1972 Internship in Internal Medicine, Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital
- 1972-1973 Resident in Internal Medicine, Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital
- 1975-1978 Resident in Psychiatry, McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School
- 1973-1975 Cardiology Fellowship,Thorndike Laboratory, Boston City Hospital,
Harvard Medical School
- 1983 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Belmont campus - Service Building, Room 139