Karsten Kueppenbender, MD
Staff Psychiatrist, The Pavilion
- Instructor in Psychiatry
Karsten Kueppenbender, MD, is an addiction psychiatrist who provides individual psychotherapy, case formulations, and substance use disorder consultations at The Pavilion. He also provides comprehensive psychiatric evaluations and treatment at the LEADER residence for men, a treatment program for military and first responders. Dr. Kueppenbender cofounded Mindframe Consulting, an organization that works with hospital risk managers and malpractice insurance carriers nationwide and offers individual and group consultations that support health care professionals after catastrophic adverse events and during malpractice litigation.
Before he returned to McLean in 2019, Dr. Kueppenbender worked at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was the associate medical director of the West End Clinic and consulting psychiatrist in the Center for Pain Medicine. He is a National Instructor Designate of the American Group Psychotherapy Association.
Education & Training
- 2000 MD, University of Freiburg, Germany
- 2001 DrMed, University of Freiburg, Germany
- 2001-2002 Internship in Medicine, Neurology, and Psychiatry, Mount Auburn Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, McLean Hospital
- 2002-2005 Residency in Adult Psychiatry, Adult Psychiatry Residency Training Program, Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital
- 2004-2005 Chief Resident, Alcohol, Drugs, and Addiction Treatment Program, McLean Hospital
- 2005-2006 Partners HealthCare Fellow in Addiction Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- 2004 Medical License, Board of Registration in Medicine, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2007, 2017 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 2008, 2017 Addiction Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology