McLean Hospital Title:
- Research Associate, Cellular Neurobiology Laboratory
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Research Associate in Psychiatry
Kyung Joon Park, DSc, received his Doctor of Science degree from the Kyung Hee University in Seoul, Korea. During his doctoral studies, he focused on the mechanisms of neuronal excitability in the basolateral amygdala, and specifically on the role of hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in modulation of excitability, in connection to behavioral processes underlying fear learning/memory and anxiety. After completing his doctoral thesis work, he joined the laboratory of Dr. Sukwoo Choi at Seoul National University as a post-doctoral fellow. As a post-doc, Dr. Park explored the mechanisms of synaptic metaplasticity in thalamo-amygdala projections after fear extinction and fear renewal.
Since joining Vadim Bolshakov’s laboratory at McLean Hospital, Dr. Park has been using optogenetic tools focusing his research efforts on understanding the mechanisms of synaptic transmission and plasticity in the amygdala and other brain regions implicated in control of fear and anxiety.
Education & Training:
- 2004 BS, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
- 2006 MS, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
- 2010 DSc, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
- 2010-2011 Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Kyung Hee University, Korea
- 2011-2015 Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Belmont campus - Mailman Research Center, Room 205