McLean Hospital Title:
- Research Associate, International Consortium for Bipolar & Psychotic Disorders Research
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Lecturer on Psychiatry, Part-Time
Leonardo Tondo, MD, MSc, has studied the course and treatment of mood disorders since 1975. In 1977, he established a specialized, research-based, mood-disorders clinic (Lucio Bini Mood Disorder Center), where he has systematically collected clinical research data involving more than 6,000 patients. Dr. Tondo has taught university courses in clinical psychiatry and general and clinical psychology for more than 20 years. He retired from the Italian university in 2010.
Dr. Tondo focuses his research on suicide prevention and on the course and treatment of bipolar disorders. His studies include clarification of onset, course, and treatment responses in major mood disorders. He received the Nola-Maddox Falcone Prize from the NARSAD, for outstanding achievement in the research of affective disorder in 2003 and the Suicide Prevention Award from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention for research on lithium treatment and prevention of suicide risk in 2004.
Tondo L. Prima del tempo. Capire e prevenire il suicidio. Roma: Carocci, 2000.
Tondo L, ed. Gli adolescenti e l’amore. Roma: Carocci, 2001.
Tondo L. Compendio di psicologia. Roma: Carocci, 2001.
Education & Training:
- 1974 MD, Sapienza University of Rome
- 2003 MSc, Harvard School of Public Health
- 1974-1978 Residency in Adult Psychiatry, Sapienza University of Rome
- 1980 Visiting Scientist, Psychohormonal Research Unit, Johns Hopkins Hospital and University
- 1983 Visiting Scientist, Department Psychoneurology, University of Pennsylvania
Belmont campus - Mailman Research Center