Reuben A. Hendler, MD
Psychiatrist in Charge, Alcohol, Drug, and Addiction Inpatient Program
- Instructor in Psychiatry
Reuben A. Hendler, MD, is a psychiatrist in charge in McLean’s alcohol, drugs, and addiction treatment programs, caring for people with addiction and other mental health concerns in inpatient and residential settings. He also provides consultation on substance use disorder treatment to other psychiatrists at McLean. In addition, Dr. Hendler works as a psychotherapist in private practice.
Dr. Hendler co-directs the Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital Adult Psychiatry Residency Training Program’s Clinician Educator Program, which trains residents to teach as they practice psychiatry. He has obtained certification in motivational interviewing and coaches psychiatry residents in this therapeutic approach. Dr. Hendler hosts a podcast, Psychiatry & Society, which explores the elements of a mentally healthy society.
Education & Training
- 2014 BA in Cognitive Science, Yale University
- 2018 MD, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- 2018-2022 Adult Psychiatry Residency Training Program, Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital
- 2021-2022 Chief Resident in Addictions, Adult Psychiatry Residency Training Program, Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital
- 2021-2022 Co-Chief Resident in Psychotherapy, Adult Psychiatry Residency Training Program, Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital
- 2021 Medical License, Board of Registration in Medicine, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2022 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology