Zafar N. Naqvi, MBBS
Psychiatrist in Charge, Alcohol, Drug, and Addiction Inpatient Program
- Instructor in Psychiatry
Dr. Zafar N. Naqvi is currently working as a psychiatrist in charge at the Alcohol, Drug, and Addiction Inpatient Program at McLean Hospital and is also a member of McLean’s Institute of Coaching. Dr. Naqvi has 21 years of cross-cultural experience as a psychiatrist and 10 years as a psychoanalyst. His special interests include treating patients with eating disorders as well as patients with drug and alcohol addiction.
Dr. Naqvi has remained actively involved in academia throughout his career, as he believes that the process of teaching helps one learn how to learn. He has written several articles to combat the stigma associated with mental illnesses. He values the in-depth understanding of individuals as an aspect of providing comprehensive care and believes that through use of informed treatment models and addressing co-occurring substance abuse and mental illness, the dynamics behind the patient’s symptoms can be understood to effectively improve outcomes.
Education & Training
- 1994 MBBS Dow Medical University, Pakistan
- 2006 PsychD Royal College of Psychiatrists/Keele University, England
- 2006-2010 Psychiatry Residency, Drexel University
- 2008-2009 Psychodynamic Psychiatry Fellowship, Psychoanalytic Centre of Philadelphia
- 2010-2011 Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship, University of Massachusetts
- 2013 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology,
- 2014 Addiction Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 2014 Addiction Medicine, American Board of Addiction Medicine
- 2015 International Associate of Royal College of Psychiatrists, United Kingdom