Benjamin J. Herbstman, MD, MHS
Assistant Psychiatrist, The Pavilion
- Lecturer on Psychiatry, Part-Time
Benjamin J. Herbstman, MD, MHS, is a psychiatrist who provides individual and family consultations at The Pavilion. He has worked at the Gunderson Outpatient Program and the Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder Outpatient Clinic. Dr. Herbstman has a private practice in Cambridge. He is on the psychotherapy faculty at the Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute where he also chairs the Off the Couch film program and a member of the Boston Suicide Study Group where he writes about and lectures on understanding and preventing suicide. In the past, he has served on the editorial board of the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association.
Dr. Herbstman supervises psychiatry residents and is a faculty member in the MGH/McLean Adult Psychiatry Residency Training Program. He is a co-director of the residency’s Program in Psychodynamics, which offers more intensive and advanced training in psychotherapy.
Education & Training
- 2001 BA, Yale University
- 2005 MHS, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- 2009 MD, Weill Medical College of Cornell University
- 2009-2010 Internship in Internal Medicine, Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- 2010-2013 Residency in Psychiatry, Adult Psychiatry Training Program, Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital
- 2011 Medical License, Board of Registration in Medicine, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2013 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology