McLean Hospital Title:
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Associate Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychiatry, Part-Time
Elsa Ronningstam, PhD, is a clinical psychologist in the Gunderson Outpatient Program and the Adult Outpatient Services at McLean Hospital, and an associate professor of psychology in the Department of Psychiatry (part-time) at Harvard Medical School. She is also a psychoanalyst and member of the American Psychoanalytic Association and faculty of Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute. As a member of the Board of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Boston Chapter, Dr. Ronningstam is active in initiatives focused on identifying treating and preventing suicide.
Diagnosis and treatment of narcissistic personality disorder is her prime specialty and she has over the past 25 years authored over 60 publications, and has given over 100 presentations, lectures, and courses both nationally and internationally. Dr. Ronningstam was the recipient of a 2014 prize for outstanding service in McLean’s borderline personality disorder programs.
Karlsson (Ronningstam) E. Barn och sorg. En studie kring sorgearbete under barndomen. Stockholm, Sweden: Natur och Kultur, 1977. (English title: Children and mourning. A study of bereavement in childhood)
Ronningstam E, ed. Disorders of narcissism: diagnostic, clinical, and empirical implications. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1998.
Ronningstam E, ed. Disorders of narcissism: diagnostic, clinical, and empirical implications. Northvale, NJ: Jason Aronson, Inc. 2000.
Ronningstam E, a cura di. I disturbi del narcisicmo: diagnosi, clinica, ricerca. Milano, Italy: Raffaello Cortina Editore, 2001.
Ronningstam E, ed. Disorders of narcissism: diagnostic, clinical, and empirical implications (Japanese translation). Tokyo, Japan: Kongo-Shuppan, Inc., 2003.
Ronningstam E. Identifying and understanding the narcissistic personality. New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
Education & Training:
- 1971 BA in Psychology, Sociology, Theory of Science, University of Umeå, Sweden
- 1976 MSc in Clinical Psychology, University of Stockholm, Sweden
- 1988 PhD in Clinical Psychology, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, University of Stockholm, Sweden
- 1985-1990 Research Fellow in Clinical Psychology, McLean Hospital
- 1985-1988 Research Fellow in Clinical Psychology, Harvard Medical School
- 1989-1990 Clinical and Research Fellow in Clinical Psychology, McLean Hospital
- 1990 Licensed Psychologist, Commonwealth of Massachusetts (#4955)
- 2005 Psychoanalyst, Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute/American Psychoanalytic Association
Belmont campus - Service Building, Room 5B