Jay Bonnar, MD
Staff Psychiatrist, The Pavilion
- Instructor in Psychiatry, Part-Time
Jay Bonnar, MD, began his career as an inpatient psychiatrist at The Cambridge Hospital. He came to the Short Term Unit at McLean in 1996. He worked for a decade with the outpatient personality disorder service, where he developed a focus on individual and group psychotherapy, and he began training at the Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute. He became an attending psychotherapist at the Pavilion in 2014.
Dr. Bonnar is interested in the developmental function of self-criticism, its relationship to ‘being good’ and the enduring adult impacts on sense of self, judgment, relationships, accomplishment, and life satisfaction.
Education & Training
- 1986 BA, Brandeis University
- 1991 MD, Harvard Medical School
- 1991-1992 Internship, The Cambridge Hospital
- 1992-1995 Adult Psychiatry Residency, The Cambridge Hospital
- 1993 Medical License, Board of Registration in Medicine, Commonwealth of Massachusetts