McLean Hospital Title:
- Coordinator of Inpatient Group Therapy, McLean Hospital
- Coordinator of Clinical Assessment, OCD Institute
Harvard Medical School Title:
- Instructor in Psychology, Department of Psychiatry
Nathaniel Van Kirk, PhD is a licensed clinical psychologist, specializing in severe anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), and trauma/PTSD. At McLean Hospital, Dr. Van Kirk is the coordinator of inpatient group therapy and the coordinator of clinical assessment at the OCD Institute. He is a member of the hospital’s Patient and Family Advisory Committee and Interdisciplinary Recovery Oriented Practice Committee, and also serves as the site facilitator for McLean’s Schwartz Rounds Committee.
Dr. Van Kirk’s clinical research focuses on the role of motivation across treatment and the impact of trauma on treatment outcomes, and on promoting innovative methods to assess and conceptualize recovery. Additionally, he is involved in efforts to reduce mental health stigma (such as participating in McLean Hospital’s Deconstructing Stigma campaign), emphasizing the importance of bridging the gap between therapists, researchers, and those with mental health challenges, including individuals who work in the mental health field.
Education & Training:
- 2008 BS, Virginia Tech
- 2010 MS in Clinical Psychology, Virginia Tech
- 2014 PhD in Clinical Psychology, Virginia Tech
- 2013-2014 Clinical Psychology Pre-Doctoral Internship, Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- 2014-2015, Clinical Fellowship, OCD Institute, McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School
- 2015-2016, Research Fellowship, OCD Institute, McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School
- 2016, Licensed Psychologist, Board of Registration of Psychologists, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Belmont campus - Appleton House, Room 315