Center of Excellence in Women’s Mental Health
McLean is leading the field to support the mental wellness of women and girls.
McLean’s Center of Excellence in Women’s Mental Health is dedicated to improving mental health care for women throughout the lifespan. The center works to address and create visibility for the unique behavioral and mental health needs of women and girls, which have long been overlooked, and pioneer new standards of care for women worldwide.
The Center of Excellence in Women’s Mental Health works to improve the mental health of girls and women nationally and globally by leveraging our clinical, research, and education expertise.
We achieve this by:
- Developing and delivering novel, evidence-based care that addresses the specific mental health needs of girls and women
- Conducting and disseminating innovative research
- Providing professional education, training, and community engagement
- Aligning with public health and related priorities crucial to improving the mental health of girls and women around the globe
More than 180 faculty, staff, clinicians, researchers, and educators carry out the center’s mission.
Support the Center of Excellence in Women’s Mental Health
A gift to women’s mental health supports the educational, clinical, and research activities of McLean’s Center of Excellence in Women’s Mental Health. Help advance the center’s mission to address and improve the mental health of all women and girls throughout their lives.
Shelly F. Greenfield, MD, MPH, Chief and Kristine M. Trustey Endowed Chair in Psychiatry
Dr. Greenfield is an addiction psychiatrist, clinician, and researcher. Her research focuses on treatment, gender differences, and health services as they relate to substance use. She is a recipient of National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) funding for mentoring in substance use disorder, patient-oriented research as well as for developing and testing a new manual-based group therapy for women with substance use disorders. Dr. Greenfield is also McLean’s chief academic officer and is a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.
Amy Gagliardi, MD, Clinical Director
Dr. Gagliardi is an assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and has been immersed in the clinical care of patients with major psychiatric illnesses for more than ten years. She has extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of trauma-related disorders, including advanced training in dialectical behavior therapy, and is devoted to the teaching and supervision of medical students and psychiatric residents.
Kimberlyn Leary, PhD, MPA, Senior Advisor
Dr. Leary is an associate professor of psychology in the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and an associate professor in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, where she is the “Enabling Change” program director. She is a fellow at the Women and Public Policy Program at the Harvard Kennedy School and with New America’s International Security Program. Leary consults as a senior advisor to the CEO at the National Math and Science Initiative and is a trustee of Amherst College.
The Center of Excellence in Women’s Mental Health Steering Committee meets regularly to chart the center’s strategic vision and continuous dedication to the mental well-being of women and girls.
- Lois W. Choi-Kain, MEd, MD, Gunderson Personality Disorders Institute
- Esther Dechant, MD, Klarman Eating Disorders Center
- Joe B. Flores, MD, Gunderson Outpatient Program
- Joseph Gold, MD, Chief Medical Officer
- Staci Gruber, PhD, Cognitive and Neuroimaging Core
- Judith Halperin, PsyD, Klarman Eating Disorders Center
- Karen L. Jacob, PhD, Gunderson Residence
- Kristin N. Javaras, DPhil, PhD, Center of Excellence in Women’s Mental Health
- Cynthia Kaplan PhD, 3East Girls Intensive and Step-Down Programs
- Milissa Kaufman, MD, PhD, Hill Center for Women
- Michael B. Leslie, MD, Dissociative Disorders and Trauma Inpatient Program
- Sophia M. Maurasse, MD, 3East Girls Intensive and Step-Down Programs
- Judith Mintz, PhD, 3East Girls Intensive and Step-Down Programs
- Alisha Moreland-Capuia, MD, Hill Center for Women
- Laura Payne, PhD, Clinical and Translational Pain Research Laboratory
- Holly S. Peek, MD, Klarman Eating Disorders Center
- Stephanie Pinder-Amaker PhD, Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer
- Stephanie A. Rickey, PhD, Hill Center for Women
- Amanda E. Sedgewick, DO, Center of Excellence in Alcohol, Drugs, and Addiction
- Dawn E. Sugarman, PhD, Center of Excellence in Alcohol, Drugs, and Addiction
- Patricia Tarbox, LICSW, Klarman Eating Disorders Center
- Brandon Unruh, MD, Gunderson Residence
- Sherry R. Winternitz, MD, Hill Center for Women
- Mary C. Zanarini, EdD, Laboratory for the Study of Adult Development
Mental Health Care
McLean is home to several world-class treatment programs that focus on the mental health of girls and women.